Here are some handy tips that can make your self storage experience a positive one.
Tips for choosing self-storage
· Phoning for prices is fine. However, before you commit to a rental, take a tour of the facility.
· Be certain the aisles are paved and plowed in the winter months.
· Make sure the facility you choose has driveways and aisles that can accommodate large moving vans.
· A well-lit facility is important for safety as well as convenience (check for interior lighting.)
· Be sure fencing surrounds the entire facility – and check for other security measures.
· A resident manager on the premises making daily inspections is a must.
Tips for storing your property
· Label boxes on all sides for easy identification.
· Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
· Better yet, invest in plastic containers that are sturdy and made for stacking.
· Use shelving to organize your items and fully utilize the height of your unit.
· Place frequently accessed items toward the front of your unit. Less frequently needed items and valuables should be placed toward the rear of the unit.
· Never store food items
· Boxes that are sealed with tape will prevent dust from entering.
· Covering upholstered furniture with sheets will keep dust from accumulating.